Clay Thickness Guides are essential tools in polymer clay and metal clay makers studios. Use these with an acrylic roller, to get sheets of clay, fondant etc.with an all over even thicknesses of approx. 3mm and 4.5mm.
Extra Long Clay Thickness Guide 4 piece sets include:
- a pair of 3mm deep guides, 20mm wide x 250mm long in gorgeous, glamorous chunky glitter
- a pair of 4.5mm deep guides, 20mm wide x 250mm long in clear
- detailed instructions on how to use them.
Instructions for using clay thickness guides:
- Create a slab base by rolling conditioned clay to the thickness of the large 4.5mm deep guides using an acrylic roller. This is done by placing the guides either side of the clay at a width that will allow the roller to roll on the guides when the guide depth is reached.
- Don’t press down hard as you roll. Instead, lift and turn the clay regularly while applying light pressure on the roller, slowly compressing and spreading the clay to a depth of 4.5mm.
- Now the fun begins. Add patterns, embellishments and designs to the slab base using other coloured clays, canes, strings, cut shapes, torn pieces of clay etc.
- Use the pair of medium (3mm) depth guides and an acrylic roller to roll down and amalgamate all the beautiful designs on the slab base to an even depth of 3mm. Lifting and turning the clay and lightly rolling until the 3mm depth is reached.
- Add texture and markings with modelling, sculpting, needle tools etc.
- If desired, add other embellishments (foil, metal leaf, glitter, acrylic paint etc).
- Cut out shapes using cutters or scalpel style craft knife using templates.
- Bake according to the clay package instructions.
- Sand edges (and backs if required) using wet and dry sandpaper.
- Drill holes and assemble using findings.
Acrylic is hard wearing and easily cleaned with a wet wipe or soft cloth. Polymer clay can react with acrylic leaving a permanent mark. To prevent this occurring, be sure to clean clay residue from the guides after use.
These are a cost friendly version and surface irregularities in the acrylic thickness guides can occur but they will not negatively impact the use of the tools.