DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint was introduced to us by Fabiola Perez Ajates, who taught mixed media and polymer clay workshops at our Polymer Clay Carnival Australia 2019. Each bottle of Americana Acrylics will deliver superior coverage with a permanent, durable finish and is ideal for professional artists, crafters, and students. Americana Acrylics are water-based, non-toxic and can be varnished to create various sheen’s. This acrylic paint can be used on almost any surface.
Bright and lightfast pigments
One coat coverage with most colors although some polymer clays may require a medium to be mixed in for a one coat cover.
Durable, matte finish
Soap and water clean-up while wet
Made in the USA
Tips for using:
- Shake well before use. Apply one well-brushed coat using a soft brush or sponge brush. Apply multiple coats when using more transparent colors. Allow to dry thoroughly before applying additional coats or varnishes.
- Squirt a small amount out of the bottle at a time since acrylics dry so quickly.
- Masking tape applied over already-dried acrylic paint will not damage the existing paint, thus making it easier to produce a hard or sharp edge. (Note: this may not be the case for polymer clay. The adhesion to the clay before curing should be tested before using painters tape as a mask.
- Glass or high-density plastic makes a great reusable palette because acrylic paints will not cling to them, making clean-up easy.
- Typically, the shelf life for most paints is 5-7 years. If kept in a closed container under stable living temperatures, shelf life can be indefinite.
Guidelines to determine if your Americana Acrylics are still good to use:
- If paints can be re-mixed by shaking or stirring, they are fine to use.If the paints can’t be successfully shaken or stirred, they should be discarded and replaced.
- If there are small pieces of dried matter in the paint, you can create a filter by unscrewing the paint cap, placing a small piece of nylon stocking or similar fine-weave, thin fabric over the opening, then putting the cap back on. When you squeeze out the paint, dried matter will stay inside the bottle, and only smooth paint will flow out.
- If there are “strings” in the paint, it is best to discard and replace it.
- Dry time can depend on temperature, humidity, thickness of application etc. Americana Acrylics normal dry to touch within 15 minutes or less.
NOTE: Americana Acrylics can be used on surfaces such as plastic, metal, glass, or fabric, as long as you use the proper medium. To paint on metal or glass, first prime with Multi-Purpose Sealer or mix it directly with the paint. Mix Fabric Painting Medium with paint for painting on fabric. The painted design should be heat-set with an iron once the paint has cured.